• location_on 9260 South Eastern Avenue Las Vegas, NV 89123 (702) 614-6146


Smog Inspection

Nevada Emissions Control Program

Emission inspections are required for many original vehicle registrations and for each annual renewal. Your mailed renewal notice will indicate whether a test is required. Emissions inspections stations in Nevada are privately owned and decentralized.

You must have insurance and either a valid registration or a movement permit to operate a vehicle on public streets. If your registration is expired, you can obtain a movement permit by presenting the Certificate of Registration or other proof of ownership at a DMV office. You may be charged late fees and/or cited by law enforcement if you operate a vehicle with an expired registration.

Vehicles Requiring a Test

Passenger cars, trucks, RVs and motor homes need an emissions test if they are:

  • Based in the urban areas of Clark or Washoe county.
  • Gasoline powered (regardless of weight or size).
  • Diesel powered with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating up to and including 14,000 pounds.
  • 1968 model year or newer (unless the vehicle qualifies for a Classic Vehicle exemption).
  • New vehicles on their third registration. First and second registrations are exempted. Hybrids are exempt for five model years.
  • Emissions tests are valid for 90 days.
  • You must have a valid Nevada test to complete any original registration or most renewals if the vehicle requires a test as listed above. This includes reinstatement of a suspended registration.
  • Nevada requires used car dealers to issue a valid emissions test, when required, on any vehicle they sell. In private transactions, the test is the buyer’s responsibility.

Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from emission testing:

  • New motor vehicles on their first and second registration.
  • New hybrid-electric vehicles for the first 5 model years.
  • 1967 or older.
  • Motorcycle or moped.
  • Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (see Testing Areas or call us).
  • Alternative fuel vehicles.
  • Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 pounds or greater.
  • Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer.
  • Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife.
  • Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle.
  • Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod, Classic Vehicle or Old Timer and driven 5,000 miles or less per year.
  • Vehicles registered as a Replica Vehicle.

Test Fees

Test stations are privately owned and decentralized. The DMV sets the maximum testing fees each year. Stations are free to offer discounts, but they must post their charges along with an official DMV sign.

Online Station Search/License Verification | Diesel Locations

Types of Tests

Nevada uses On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) Testing for 1996 and newer vehicles. The operator will connect an analyzer to the OBD computer in your vehicle. Data from your vehicle will indicate whether its emissions systems are operating properly and within emissions limits.

Older vehicles are tested with a Two-Speed Idle Test. The operator will test your vehicle once at idle speed, then test it again with the engine running at approximately 2500 rpm. Older diesel vehicles are tested on a dynamometer.

You Passed!

The test results are transmitted to the DMV immediately and you will receive a Vehicle Inspection Report. You may renew your vehicle registration at participating stations, on the Internet, at a kiosk, by mail or in person at a DMV office. See Renewal Options. There is no need to mail the report. First-time Nevada registrations and license plates can be obtained only at full-service DMV offices.

Test Failures & Waivers

Dashboard and Check Engine Light

If your vehicle has failed the initial emission test, you must repair it and pass a second test to be eligible for registration. If it still fails after repairs, you may be eligible for a waiver if you meet the requirements below.

If your registration is expired or about to expire, you may receive a temporary movement permit by presenting the failed emissions test at a DMV office. You may be charged late fees and/or cited by law enforcement if you operate a vehicle on public streets with an expired registration.

Repairs can be made by the owner or any facility the owner chooses. However, vehicles in Clark County must be repaired by a 2G Licensed Authorized Station to be eligible for a waiver. See our Online Business License Verification for a list of 2G stations in your area.

“No Pass-No Pay” options and similar promotions are not mandated by State law and are offered at the discretion of the individual station. Stations may charge for each test.

Waiver Requirements

  • If the vehicle still fails after being repaired, it may be eligible for a waiver. Your vehicle must fail.
  • Carbon monoxide and/or hydrocarbon levels exceeding standards for 1968-1995 light duty vehicles and all heavy duty vehicles.
  • Illuminated “Check Engine” lamp for 1996 and newer light duty vehicles.
  • Waivers will not be issued to:
  • Vehicles eligible for warranty coverage.
  • Smoking Vehicles – The vehicle must be repaired with no limit on cost.
  • Emission Device Tampering – The vehicle must be repaired with no limit on cost.
  • Emission components could be covered under warranty for up to 8 yrs or 80,000 miles.
  • whichever occurs first, under federal law. See EPA Emission Warranty Information.

Clark County

The vehicle must be repaired by a 2G Licensed Authorized Station to be eligible for a waiver. The waiver application must include receipts from the station showing that at least $450 has been spent on parts other than a catalytic converter, fuel inlet restrictor or air injection system, or on labor other than emission testing if the repairs evidenced by the receipt were directly related to the deficiency in emissions.

If the vehicle is not repaired at an authorized 2G station, it will not be eligible for a waiver, regardless of the cost incurred. See Business License Verification for a list of stations.